1. Improving the diagnostic abilities and the treatment facilities of different renal diseases and prevent their progression:
We Provide full-service of Pediatric Nephrology emphasizes on high standard for both inpatients and outpatients. We offer comprehensive evaluation and management of all disorders of the kidneys and urinary tract that may affect infants, children and adolescents.
Children seen as outpatients are evaluated in the welcoming, friendly environment of the pediatric sub-specialty.
Comprehensive renal diagnosis is performed with urinary microscopy and renal functional studies. Imaging studies, 24-hour blood-pressure monitoring, renal biopsy and genetic testing are performed when indicated.
Our physicians specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of all aspects of kidney disease in infants, children, and adolescents, including:
- Hematuria (blood in urine)
- Proteinuria (protein in urine)
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Hydronephrosis and other congenital renal disorders, including prenatal consultations
- Voiding disorders (problems with normal urination)
- Nephrolithiasis (kidney stones) and Nephrocalcinosis (calcium deposits in the kidneys)
- Glomerular disease and other kinds of nephritis
- Urinary tract infections (pyelonephritis, cystitis, and urethritis)
- Vesicoureteral reflux and reflux nephropathy
- Nephrotic syndrome
- Chronic kidney disease and kidney failure
- Obstructive uropathy and other birth defects of the urinary tracts
- Renal cystic diseases (including polycystic kidney disease)
- Renal tubular diseases including abnormalities in urinary calcium, phosphate, and magnesium excretion
- Diabetes Insipidus
- Genetic and Metabolic conditions (including Alport Syndrome, Lowe Syndrome, cystinuria, tuberous sclerosis complex, neurofibromatosis, pseudo hypoparathyroidism and others).
2. To provide renal replacement therapy for pediatric patients with complicated acute kidney injury and patients with advanced chronic kidney disease:
Currently we have the biggest unit in the western region that provides hem dialysis service and peritoneal dialysis for pediatric patients.
3. Sub-specialty clinic within Nephrology:
While we have established general pediatric nephrology service, our division offers several further specialized clinics within nephrology to address very specific conditions as chronic kidney disease clinic and acute kidney injury clinic.
4. Clinical researches in pediatric nephrology:
Our unit published around 106 papers in addition to many Arabic articles that increase the awareness of nature of renal diseases and the preventive ways among members of the society.
5. Increase The public awareness about pediatric renal diseases and its prevention:
Through lectures and educational seminars and visit schools and colleges.
6. Contributing the development of training of physicians in pediatric Nephrology subspecialty:
The only center in the Western province for Pediatric Nephrology training – we got the approval of the Saudi Council on 2011- We have trained three pediatric nephrologists and 2 are currently receiving training.
7. Collaboration with local and international research and scientific centers:
in order to raise the diagnostic ability for the rare diseases: we have scientific cooperation with Prof. Friedheilm from Harvard university, Prof. Martin Conrad and UniversityCollege London(UCL).